[ale] Carroll Shelby

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon May 21 13:33:00 EDT 2012

On 05/21/2012 01:11 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Geoffrey Myers
> <lists at serioustechnology.com <mailto:lists at serioustechnology.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/21/2012 12:29 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>      > Hmm. 60 in 2cnd gear. That would put the engine at about
>     5100-5300 rpm.
>      > You had another 15-20 mph to go!
>      >
>      > My 1981 924 turbo can hit 50 in first gear pretty easily. I once
>     punched
>      > from under 40 to a tad over 90 in a breathtakingly short time frame
>      > passing a truck on I285. It takes a gentle foot to drive in
>     traffic :-)
>      > It's pretty low roof-line makes it almost need a kids safety flag :D
>
>     While attending Louisiana Tech Univ, I had a friend who owned a
>     Maserati.  I don't recall anything about the care except that we made
>     the 60+ mile trip from Ruston LA, to Shreveport LA in less than 30
>     minutes.
>
>     Scared the crap out of me.
>

> I rode on the back of a motorcycle on Peachtree St. My driving friend
> popped a wheelie when the light turned green. I think we went from 10th
> to 14th at warp factor 2. It took nearly 3 seconds for my scream to
> catch back up to us. I walked back to my car at 10th shaking like a leaf
> in a hurricane. I have a distinct recollection of things going past us
> so fast that only directly in front was not a blur. We may have been
> close to causing a traffic light to blue shift.
>
> This same friend drove a Dodge Charger. Fast. Very, very F*$&ing FAST!
> There was a straight stretch of road he particularly liked because it
> was flat except for a single drop in height of about 3 inches over maybe
> 20 feet then flat again. At 120mph the car would catch air over that
> dip. His girlfriend at the time was totally not paying attention and the
> dip scared her so much she wet her pants and the car seat which had just
> been re-upholstered that day :-}.  He slowed down with her in the car
> from then on.

I20 runs right through Ruston.  We would go out in the early morning and
drag race down I20.  I say we, I just watched or was a lookout for cops,
since at the time I was driving a 6 cylinder Ford Maverick. :)

These guys were all driving hopped up Chevy's and Fords. Big V8s.  The
guy with the Maserati would get into the game, but only if he game the
others a substantial head start.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."