[ale] Carroll Shelby

Drifter drifter at oppositelock.org
Mon May 21 14:13:01 EDT 2012

Back in the mid-60s I had one of the best possible part-time jobs for a
teen-aged car nut.  I was a delivery driver for the only dealer in town
that sold really exotic cars.  He was the only dealer for Jags, Porsches,
and Rolls and also the only car dealer with the mechanics to repair other
exotic European cars -- think Italian. Got to drive the first e-Jags
(basically detuned race cars with a street-legal exhaust system), as well
as Maserati GTs, Porsches, and rally-prepped Opels, Saabs and the like.
Wonderful Job!  Didn't pay squat, but the memories were worth it.

One afternoon I was tasked with delivering one of the early Shelby Cobras
-- the original one with the 289 Ford stuffed inside the Ace Bristol
chassis (aluminum body).  The damn thing had an AM radio as I remember --
but you could only hear it at idle while waiting for the light to turn
green.  The acceleration "curve" of that car was essentially flat from 30
mph to 130 mph. I snuck around the traffic cones onto a new (but unopened)
stretch of interstate and punched it.  When I chickened out and backed off,
the car was still accelerating like crazy at 150 mph (indicated).

Sean