[ale] Carroll Shelby

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 21 13:11:52 EDT 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Geoffrey Myers <lists at serioustechnology.com
> wrote:

> On 05/21/2012 12:29 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > Hmm. 60 in 2cnd gear. That would put the engine at about 5100-5300 rpm.
> > You had another 15-20 mph to go!
> >
> > My 1981 924 turbo can hit 50 in first gear pretty easily. I once punched
> > from under 40 to a tad over 90 in a breathtakingly short time frame
> > passing a truck on I285. It takes a gentle foot to drive in traffic :-)
> > It's pretty low roof-line makes it almost need a kids safety flag :D
>
> While attending Louisiana Tech Univ, I had a friend who owned a
> Maserati.  I don't recall anything about the care except that we made
> the 60+ mile trip from Ruston LA, to Shreveport LA in less than 30 minutes.
>
> Scared the crap out of me.

I rode on the back of a motorcycle on Peachtree St. My driving friend
popped a wheelie when the light turned green. I think we went from 10th to
14th at warp factor 2. It took nearly 3 seconds for my scream to catch back
up to us. I walked back to my car at 10th shaking like a leaf in a
hurricane. I have a distinct recollection of things going past us so fast
that only directly in front was not a blur. We may have been close to
causing a traffic light to blue shift.

This same friend drove a Dodge Charger. Fast. Very, very F*$&ing FAST!
There was a straight stretch of road he particularly liked because it was
flat except for a single drop in height of about 3 inches over maybe 20
feet then flat again. At 120mph the car would catch air over that dip. His
girlfriend at the time was totally not paying attention and the dip scared
her so much she wet her pants and the car seat which had just been
re-upholstered that day :-}.  He slowed down with her in the car from then
on.

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> the pretense of taking care of them."
> - Thomas Jefferson

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky