[ale] Best Offsite Backup Solution for Home

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Feb 1 23:08:20 EST 2012

I felt the need to share my optical media story ...

I've been using the cheapest available DVD optical disks with par2 files as
protection for over a decade.  This is for non-important stuff. Some of the
"name brand" DVD-R and DVD+R media didn't work in my burners, so I've stayed
with the cheap stuff for years.

I've lost a few files - ok, 2 files, but never an entire disk.  When any issue
happens reading the old data, I pull it all off using dd_rescue, correct as much
as possible using par2, then re-burn a new copy. I've lost access to 2 files
from the 2 oldest disks in all this time.  No lost data with any other disks so
far, thanks to par2 recovery.

I will point out that I do not access every disk every year, so there may be
some bad disks that I have yet to see, but I have been slowly going through them
the last 6 months starting from the oldest disk 001 and moving forward.  I'm on
disk 083 now. About 5 discs needed "recovery work", but that is expected.  I'm
looking at files from 2004 now.

The media is stored in protective sleeves inside 300+ disc wallets, in a closet,
but nothing else is special about the storage or handling.

Certainly, if the data were critical, I'd do something different. It isn't and
this is "good enough" for this data.

If bluray discs are $1 each ($1/50GB), I need to seriously look into migrating.
 The hassle and savings could work out. The cheapest I'm finding are 10pc for $45.

DVD is still about 25% cheaper/GB when compared to BR-D.