[ale] Best Offsite Backup Solution for Home

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Feb 1 21:10:05 EST 2012

David,

I was going to say JungleDisk on Amazon S3 until you said 1 TB.
JungleDisk is available for Linux and Windows.  It's probably on Mac
too.  Carbonite says you can back up whatever is on your internal hard
drive on one PC for $ 60? per year.  You might read the fine print to
see if they'd balk at that large quantity of data.  I think Comcast's
residential bandwidth limit is 250 GB / mo, so that might not be a
problem if you're with them.  100 GB / yr is only about 8 GB / mo,
assuming most of the initially stored data doesn't change much.  I
remember Leo Laporte talking about some sort of peer to peer backup
solution that is FLOSS.  Don't remember what it is.  You might look
through the show archives at http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly .  If I
did my calculations right, it would take you 29 days to upload 1 TB at 4
Mbps.  You'd have to break that up into 4 - 6 months if you're on
Comcast.  If you're doing a peer to peer thing and you know the host of
the data destination, you might be able to take your 1 TB of data to the
site on an external HDD.

Sincerely,

Ron