[ale] Best Offsite Backup Solution for Home

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Feb 1 21:47:23 EST 2012

David,

I wouldn't trust normal optical discs for long term storage.  I did some
research into media longevity in the past.  The dyes in an optical disc
can fail in as little as a few years.  If you do use optical media, look
into archival grade media.  (I should eat my own dog food here and
convert some of my old videos to archival.)

Here are some interesting links on the subject.  And, if you want the
best quality media, this company MAM-A looks like the place to go.
(Caveat, based on research, not personal experience.)

http://www.mam-a.com/

http://www.mam-a.com/all_about_cds - MAM-A  archival CD's - 300 years
estimated life

http://www.mam-a.com/page.asp?id=59&name=All%20About%20DVDs - MAM-A
archival DVD's - 100 years estimated life

http://www.mam-a.com/blu_ray - Blu-Ray - I can't find estimated life on
this.  It is professional grade, but I'm not sure if archival Blu-Ray
exists.

http://www.mam-a.com/longevity_research - Lots of good data here.

http://www.mam-a.com/technical_papers - Lots of good data here too.

http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/publications/notes/19-1-eng.aspx