[ale] Best Offsite Backup Solution for Home

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Feb 1 21:25:39 EST 2012

On 02/01/2012 02:42 PM, David Tomaschik wrote:
> As many on the list know, I'm going to be relocating to California
> later this month, which has made me take a look at my backup
> procedures.
>
> While I have good software for backups (rdiff-backup is pretty
> awesome), finding a way to get the data truly offsite is easier said

You need to prioritize your backups.

1) Critical data for daily 100% automatic backups - about 5GB tops

2) Mostly static data - no more than a single USB/eSATA device can handle (buy 2
devices and always encrypt the data) Rotate monthly or quarterly offsite.

3) Large content, non-critical data that losing would be bad, but not terrible
(optical media)

I think you know what to do with each of these data priorities.  #2 is take to
work and swap.  #3 is lost if there's a fire.

rdiff-backup **is** awesome.