[ale] SQL differences

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:19:30 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 11:03 -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> > Agreed. Thanks for finding and posting this.
> >
> > Let me tell you, it is frustrating working with Oracle and MSSQL after
> > having used MySQL for so long. So many easy things in MySQL (e.g. the
> > LIMIT clause and the TIMESTAMP and AUTO INCREMENT column types) are
> > completely missing in the other two that I now have to use. I can see
> > this page being use very frequently by me.
>
> Personally, I can't use MySQL for anything anymore, except for trivially
> simple data storage.  PostgreSQL has so many more data types and so much
> more built-in functionality that it makes implementing database
> applications a lot less painful than doing the same thing with MySQL.
> It makes it possible to provide a clean separation between “that which
> should be set in stone [from the application’s point of view]” and “that
> which should be in the application’s control”.
>
> Besides, who doesn't want to store their data in a database that
> supports UUIDs and both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as standard data types?
> I don't.  :-)

plus shapes and geopoints and....

PostgreSQL is amazing. Add in the SELinux security and the DBM's can do
their work with no access to the actual content. And now with v.9 -
multi-master replication! (that does not depend on java! WooHoo!)

>        --- Mike

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.