[ale] SQL differences

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Oct 8 10:27:29 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 11:03 -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> Agreed. Thanks for finding and posting this.
>
> Let me tell you, it is frustrating working with Oracle and MSSQL after
> having used MySQL for so long. So many easy things in MySQL (e.g. the
> LIMIT clause and the TIMESTAMP and AUTO INCREMENT column types) are
> completely missing in the other two that I now have to use. I can see
> this page being use very frequently by me.

Personally, I can't use MySQL for anything anymore, except for trivially
simple data storage.  PostgreSQL has so many more data types and so much
more built-in functionality that it makes implementing database
applications a lot less painful than doing the same thing with MySQL.
It makes it possible to provide a clean separation between “that which
should be set in stone [from the application’s point of view]” and “that
which should be in the application’s control”.

Besides, who doesn't want to store their data in a database that
supports UUIDs and both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as standard data types?
I don't.  :-)

	--- Mike