[ale] SQL differences

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Oct 8 11:49:47 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 11:19 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
>         Besides, who doesn't want to store their data in a database
>         that
>         supports UUIDs and both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as standard
>         data types?
>         I don't.  :-)
>
> plus shapes and geopoints and....
>
> PostgreSQL is amazing. Add in the SELinux security and the DBM's can
> do their work with no access to the actual content. And now with v.9 -
> multi-master replication! (that does not depend on java! WooHoo!)

Yeah, I'm loving the 9.0 release---though I must have missed something,
I didn't catch the multimaster replication thing.  I thought the
streaming replication in 9.0 was to hot-standby systems (e.g., ones that
only do read-only queries) and that more multimaster like setups being
in-tree was something coming later on...  I need to take another look.
I haven't deployed a 9.0 server just yet.  Going to soon, though!

	--- Mike