[ale] Linux without any of the XUBUNTU, GNOME, KUBUTNU but simple window manager

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Tue Aug 10 13:45:25 EDT 2010

  On 8/10/10 12:49 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
> Geentoo is cool, but the liast person I saw do an emerge it took him
> three days. That was on P4 with 1G of memory.
>
> Pup
That's kind of a loaded statement - there are orders of magnitude
difference between, say, "emerge gzip" (42 seconds start-to-finish on
8x2GHz x86_64 Xeon, most of it spent in configure) and "emerge -uDe
world", which simply recompiles everything even if there aren't any
updates.  If the machine in question were running X w/ KDE or Gnome, it
might have well been hating life at anything more than MAKEOPTS="-j1"
and there is a lot more to build if it had been an X machine.  Emerging
gcc is rather RAM-intensive also so if whatever that guy was doing
involved building gcc or g++ then it was going to take some time,
especially if his swap partition was on the same disk as everything else
and he was also running X.

If the building time involved with new Gentoo instances (which in
practice tend to be build-once/copy-many/rebuild-at-leisure) or the
occasional update of big apps isn't something you can absorb by doing
other work, making phone calls, a trip to the loo, having a moment of
quiet reflection, etc., then Gentoo's not for you.

Although I will say that if your work does involve emerging and
unmerging packages as a matter of day-to-day routine, even just a small
distcc rig and ccache makes a huge difference.  With distcc, parallelism
seems to matter more than sheer clock speed.  I try to have some x86 and
x86_64 machines set up at home and at work for distcc purposes.