[ale] Linux without any of the XUBUNTU, GNOME, KUBUTNU but simple window manager

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 13:16:15 EDT 2010

Chuck Payne wrote:
<snipped>
> If you have a weak machine any of the three would be good.
>
> damn small linux -- http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
> puppy linux -- http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm
> slackware -- http://www.slackware.org/
>
> All of these are greate for old machines. Slackware to me is the best
> of the three, though there is no gnome. You can find Gnome from one of
> the distro base on gnome. If you are wanting to go the route of
> *buntu, just do Debian, it is the King when it comes to older
> hardware.

another few to look at:

DeLi Linux
http://www.delilinux.de/

made for older/slower computers.

antiX
http://antix.mepis.org/

It is designed to work on computers with as little as 64 MB RAM/PII
processor and uses IceWM or Fluxbox as its window managers

Salix (LXDE Edition)
http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Home

It features the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, the lightweight &
fast PCManFM file manager, and the popular Openbox window manager.

I use the latter two a reasonable bit.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/