[ale] Linux without any of the XUBUNTU, GNOME, KUBUTNU but simple window manager

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 13:58:55 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:
>  On 8/10/10 12:49 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
>> Geentoo is cool, but the liast person I saw do an emerge it took him
>> three days. That was on P4 with 1G of memory.
>>
>> Pup
> That's kind of a loaded statement - there are orders of magnitude
> difference between, say, "emerge gzip" (42 seconds start-to-finish on
> 8x2GHz x86_64 Xeon, most of it spent in configure) and "emerge -uDe
> world", which simply recompiles everything even if there aren't any
> updates.  If the machine in question were running X w/ KDE or Gnome, it
> might have well been hating life at anything more than MAKEOPTS="-j1"
> and there is a lot more to build if it had been an X machine.  Emerging
> gcc is rather RAM-intensive also so if whatever that guy was doing
> involved building gcc or g++ then it was going to take some time,
> especially if his swap partition was on the same disk as everything else
> and he was also running X.
>
> If the building time involved with new Gentoo instances (which in
> practice tend to be build-once/copy-many/rebuild-at-leisure) or the
> occasional update of big apps isn't something you can absorb by doing
> other work, making phone calls, a trip to the loo, having a moment of
> quiet reflection, etc., then Gentoo's not for you.
>
> Although I will say that if your work does involve emerging and
> unmerging packages as a matter of day-to-day routine, even just a small
> distcc rig and ccache makes a huge difference.  With distcc, parallelism
> seems to matter more than sheer clock speed.  I try to have some x86 and
> x86_64 machines set up at home and at work for distcc purposes.

My co-worker is a big Gentoo user when get got his new laptop he did
his emerge to get installed and up and running and it took three days.
I believe he did a lot of custom coding. But, I am not kidding on how
long it took because he did get in trouble for not having a laptop for
that time.

Pup

openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein