[ale] Why ALE hated my email and how I fixed it

Sean McNealy sean.mcnealy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 15:58:02 EST 2009

Since I'm curious, which one was the problem here?

The MX that pointed to the CNAME:
mail             IN    CNAME   slice1.bronosky.com.
slice1           IN    A       174.143.204.116
bronosky.com.    IN    MX    0 mail.bronosky.com.
(I'm using the the mail CNAME here to make it clearer the difference
from the next one.  For this assume he'd changed the bronosky.com
CNAME into an A.)

Or was it the CNAME that pointed to the MX:
bronosky.com.    IN    CNAME    slice1.bronosky.com.
slice1           IN    A       174.143.204.116
(Where we fall back to using the A record for slice1.bronosky.com as
MX since there isn't an MX for that request!)

-Sean