[ale] get your nerd kit

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Jan 26 01:28:00 EST 2009

On 2009, Jan, 25, , at 11:16 PM, Ben Dixon wrote:

> Interesting this topic should come up. I'm new to the list (though I
> came to a few ALE meetings a long long time ago). Anyone doing
> anything with the Arduino in Atlanta (http://www.arduino.cc/). I've
> just started with it in the last few weeks, was hoping there might be
> people on the list (or at Tech, etc) who have an interest in it.
>
> Ben

I discovered arduino (open source circuit design) when I was
brainstorming
on trying to make a custom drum pad midi controller and saw a youTube
demo
vid of an arduino midi "drum" trigger:
< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGl-ba7qSic >
After investigating the designs and capabilities in depth, I realized
that
to do the multi channel / polyphonic rig I wanted to do was going to
take
multiple controllers, state machine programming and some complicated
array
and glue components.

INSTEAD I went with a korg nanoPad controller <http://
www.korgnano.com/> for
my midi drum pads. HOWEVER, this was a ways under my birthday "gift
certificate"
allotment so I also went ahead and ordered an seeduino (arduino
clone) board
for future tinkering projects -- I occasionally get called on to assist
with media art installations that can make use of custom trigger and
controller devices and arduino is perfect for those applications.

These look to be a good mix and match with the Nerd Kits, too, since
they
are all using the same ATmega168 micro controller!  It could be cool to
extend an arduino rig with the nice (and cheap) components that come in
a nerd kit.

Would love to schedule an arduino tinkering session some time or
maybe take
on a project of mutual interest!  I'm in the Emory University area...
but
have arduino and will travel! ;-)

peace
aaron