[ale] weird mail issue

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 16:41:44 EST 2009

2009/1/16 Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com>:

>        I use it.  Works like a charm.  I like it.
>
>        Funny, Sendmail USE to be referred to as the bug of the [month|week|
> day] club but it's very stable now.  It USE to be relatively poor in
> performance but it holds its own with the rest of them there too.  Use
> of the m4 macros simplified configuration to the extent that I don't
> find it any more complicated than smail (which has grown considerably
> much MORE complicated from the days when I made contributions to that
> project) or Postfix (which I also happen to like).

Sometime around 2002-2004 the Sendmail team did a line-by-line
security analysis and really cleaned it up. Since then I've bug fixes
and almost no security issues. It used to be the bad boy of security
(along with bind).
Sendmail can run circles around an exchange server. OK so that's not
so hard to do...

<snip>
.  From #1 to virtually non-existent.

How do we make this apply to certain security-problem systems that
come from Redmond?

>        Mike

James P. Kinney III