[ale] weird mail issue

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Jan 16 15:53:13 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 14:39 -0500, dmcnash at charter.net wrote:
> I knew in the back of my failing memory that there was another step.

> In sendmail.cf (last modified in 2004):
> # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
> DMcharter.net

> But nobody still uses sendmail anymore, do they?

	I use it.  Works like a charm.  I like it.

	Funny, Sendmail USE to be referred to as the bug of the [month|week|
day] club but it's very stable now.  It USE to be relatively poor in
performance but it holds its own with the rest of them there too.  Use
of the m4 macros simplified configuration to the extent that I don't
find it any more complicated than smail (which has grown considerably
much MORE complicated from the days when I made contributions to that
project) or Postfix (which I also happen to like).

	OTOH...  The most secure mail system (which was not QMail by any
stretch of the imagination) was mmdf (Multichannel Memorandum
Distribution Facility).  For some time, a looonnnggg time ago, that was
the number one Unix mailer by rights of being the default mailer on SCO
Unix which was extremely popular in India and other parts of Asia back
then.  I think it became a Sun product and was available on
SunOS/Solaris boxes as well.  It was also heavily used in the military
(it had the nick name of "military mail distribution facility") when I
had to try and port it to a 16 bit Xenix architecture a couple of
decades ago.  It was still maintained up until a few years ago but I
don't think it's been updated in several years and I doubt many are
using it.  In its entire history, I only recall one security advisory on
mmdf.  From #1 to virtually non-existent.

	Mike