[ale] pkg-config --define-variable error

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 19:42:09 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 7:15 PM, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:

> Marc Ferguson wrote:
>

> --define-variable=taglib-sharp=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/taglib-sharp.pc
> >      > Must specify package names on the command line
> >
> >     Just a guess, but it doesn't look like there are any package names
> >     on that command line?
> >
>   > I'm a linux noob.  What do you mean by that?  I looked at the man pages
> > for pkg-config and I thought I ran the command correctly, but It seems
> > I'm not.
>
> I'm just saying that the error seems to indicate that you're supposed
> to name a package on the command line, and that doesn't seem to have
> been done.  I've never used pkg-config myself. Well, until just now.
>
>  $ pkg-config --libs libc
>  Package libc was not found in the pkg-config search path.
>
> Not very helpful.  Apparently some meta-data has to be generated
> before pkg-config can do its thing, and that hasn't been done on
> my system.
>
> What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
>
> -- JK
>
> --
> I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
>  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov

I'm trying to install Banshee 1.0 via source and during ./configure it tells
me that taglib-sharp is not there.  So; I download and installed it via
source - no problem.  I ran ./configure for banshee again and it says the
same thing.

----
checking for NUNIT... no
configure: WARNING: Could not find nunit: tests will not be available.
checking for TAGLIB_SHARP... configure: error: Package requirements
(taglib-sharp >= 2.0.0) were not met:

No package 'taglib-sharp' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables TAGLIB_SHARP_CFLAGS
and TAGLIB_SHARP_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
-----

So; it looks like I need to do something with PKG_CONFIG_PATH or pkg-config
in order for the system to recognize that taglib-sharp is installed.
Currently it looks like it installed it in my /usr/local/lib and the system
is setup to look in /usr/lib.

--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.."
-Rev1:4