[ale] pkg-config --define-variable error

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Jun 18 19:15:04 EDT 2008

Marc Ferguson wrote:

>     --define-variable=taglib-sharp=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/taglib-sharp.pc
>      > Must specify package names on the command line
>
>     Just a guess, but it doesn't look like there are any package names
>     on that command line?
>
  > I'm a linux noob.  What do you mean by that?  I looked at the man pages
> for pkg-config and I thought I ran the command correctly, but It seems
> I'm not.

I'm just saying that the error seems to indicate that you're supposed
to name a package on the command line, and that doesn't seem to have
been done.  I've never used pkg-config myself. Well, until just now.

  $ pkg-config --libs libc
  Package libc was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Not very helpful.  Apparently some meta-data has to be generated
before pkg-config can do its thing, and that hasn't been done on
my system.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov