[ale] Suse vs. Ubuntu. Is is worth the time to switch to ubuntu?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Jul 31 13:02:29 EDT 2007

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Commercial support isn't just about paying someone for tech support.  It
> also includes what other commercial products are supported on the
> platform.  e.g. If you're planning to use Oracle products they only
> "certify" RHEL/SUSE and their own so called "Unbreakable Linux".  Not to
> say someone couldn't make it work on another flavor (I've forced our
> DBAs to use FC6 for Oracle R12) but it does take some work and you'll be
> SOL if you try to call Oracle about it because they'll say its not a
> "supported platform".

This is a good point, and it's is an area where RHEL/SuSE clearly have a
major advantage. The only list I could fine of software with support by
its vendor on Ubuntu is at
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/SoftwareCatalogue. It includes
PostgreSQL, MySQL, DB2, and VMware, but not much else. This list can't
be comprehensive; I know that Alfresco, for instance, also provides
support for its product on Ubuntu.

-Brian