[ale] Suse vs. Ubuntu. Is is worth the time to switch to ubuntu?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:41:42 EDT 2007

I missed that part in my previous reply. I'm not sure what you mean by
"upgrade." Unless you have a separate partition/drive for `/home`, you
will want to back up your data and do a fresh install. Ubuntu and SuSE
are two fundamentally different systems. Well, they both use the Linux
kernel and the GNU operating system, but those are the only
similarites. They use different file systems, init scripts, and
package managers. If you install over your current OS without wiping
the partition, you will have a mess on your hands.

As mentioned in another reply, you can boot the livecd to get a feel
for Ubuntu. If you want to install it before wiping your system, use
Qemu (or VMware, or Zen, or some other virutal machine).

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59