[ale] Windows Vista - Way OT

Denny Chambers dchambers at bugfixer.net
Thu Feb 8 11:43:49 EST 2007

Speaking of Vista, /. has an article about Vista's EULA not allowing the
cheaper version of Vista to be installed Virtual Machines. The article
is a Vista vs. Mac point of view, but this also effects products like
VMWare. To run Vista in a VM, you must buy the Enterprise and Ultimate
version, which is at least $100 more that the Basic Home version.

I have the Ultimate version loaded in a VMWare, because I needed it to
test some stuff for work. I have found it to be a big pain in a$$. I
guess once you get it set up and all of your SW installed, it may not be
any more annoying that XP, but I often got asked 3 or 4 times "Are you
sure you want to do this" type of question for each piece of SW I
installed. The SW I installed uses the network, so I got ask if Vista
should block this SW or not. I had to explicitly tell Vista that yes you
can get on the network, it's safe. I am glad M$ is taking security
seriously, but in Vista the security is very disruptive for the user.
Also some apps got moved around a little, so it some searching to find
some things.

Denny