[ale] Network security question

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Apr 3 08:58:54 EDT 2007

This reminds me of when I quit a job a few years ago.  I gave notice and
the putz director said it was their policy not allow staff on the
systems after quitting so they had disabled all my accounts.   This was
a lie because I'd been there 7 years and they'd never done it before -
the guy just didn't like folks in Atlanta (he thought we were prima
donnas which is part of why I resigned).    However this amused me
because:

a)       It meant I get a 2 week paid vacation because they had to pay
me for the notice period and I couldn't work through it

b)       It meant I didn't have to finish out my on call that week.

c)       They did change all my accounts but neglected to check whether
I was already logged in via the ISDN they had provided me.

d)       I was actually logged into the security server that had root
access to all the other servers so didn't need my personal accounts.
Had I really wanted to do damage I could have had a field day and could
have said "wasn't me - you guys disabled my accounts remember?"

It was stupid though.  To think I was going to throw away a 7 year
reference but would give them notice before doing damage?!  I quietly
copied the things I owned in my home directory down to my PC then logged
myself out of their systems and turned off the ISDN router - I was just
glad to be gone.   The director's BS confirmed in spades my impression
of how petty a person he truly was and affirmed my decision that it was
time to get the hell out of there.