[ale] RAID recovery

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Nov 11 16:40:25 EST 2005

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri November 11 2005 3:15 pm, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
>>Geoffrey, (note: I am not picking on you by saying this, as you did
>>not indicate above that you actually participated in that
>>foolishness), I think what you describe is just more fodder to
>>frustrate a lot of people who have spent years disgusted with the
>>price they pay for the service they get from telcos.  Clearly there
>>were better things for your peers to be doing than to be horsing
>>around with their peers computers.  Sadly AT&T has had to layoff a
>>lot of good people over the years, perhaps if their was less playing
>>and more paying attention Ma Bell would be more than just a division
>>of SBC these days.
>
> all work and no play makes Jack an idiot, er dull boy...
> If you haven't worked for a Bell System
> company/Western/AT&T/Lucent/Avaya, then you have no idea what we have
> gone through. Besides, these days cellphone companies are taking the
> place of land lines and long distance. AT&T and Worldcom are going the
> way of the rotary dial phone, people still have them and use them, but
> only as a joke. My mother-in-law still has the rotary 500DM phone I
> installed for her in 1974.

I have a working coin telephone sitting on the wall outside my office.
It was presented to my Dad when he retired from AT&T.

> It still works. She also has a cell phone
> that she uses, calling cards, and a few other new gismos. AT&T is
> where it is today because of a 1984 ruling by Judge Green.

The problem was that it was not equitable.  Sure, folks had to be given
a chance to even the playing field, but once that happened, they never
returned it to true competition.  I think it was really a combination of
being ahead of the technology in many cases, look at cellular.  The Labs
created the technology, but they couldn't get anyone to buy into.  Now
everyone has a cell phone.

They also made some stupid mistakes.  All the shuffling around the
various businesses (cell, local, ld, cable..)  They spent so much time
trying to organize this stuff, they missed out on competing where they
could.

> Now if they
> would do the same thing for cable companies, the prices might drop
> there also.

Amen.

--
Until later, Geoffrey