[ale] RAID recovery

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Fri Nov 11 16:55:12 EST 2005

On Fri November 11 2005 4:40 pm, Geoffrey wrote:
> I have a working coin telephone sitting on the wall outside my
> office. It was presented to my Dad when he retired from AT&T.
I never worked in coin repair. When I retired they had changed to a
different supplier, Tiffany's. I got a Tiffany's watch for my
retirement, and I promptly gave it to my son as a gift. Under the old
system, for my 30th I got a set of golf clubs. I had never tried golf,
but knew people that did, so I figured I could try it for free, and if
I didn't like it I could give the clubs to a friend.
I still have my "Golden Boy" watch that i got for my 20th, but after
replacing 3-4 batteries I finally took the battery out of it and let
it rest. I take my $30 10 year old Timex with me when I go diving :)

> > It still works. She also has a cell phone
> > that she uses, calling cards, and a few other new gismos. AT&T is
> > where it is today because of a 1984 ruling by Judge Green.
>
> The problem was that it was not equitable. ?Sure, folks had to be
> given a chance to even the playing field, but once that happened,
> they never returned it to true competition. ?I think it was really a
> combination of being ahead of the technology in many cases, look at
> cellular. ?The Labs created the technology, but they couldn't get
> anyone to buy into. ?Now everyone has a cell phone.

lets not even get into the Labs:) what a wonderful wasted resource.

> They also made some stupid mistakes. ?All the shuffling around the
> various businesses (cell, local, ld, cable..) ?They spent so much
> time trying to organize this stuff, they missed out on competing
> where they could.

times change. Corporations are way different now, no more "cradle to
grave" idiology, you better build a massive 401K!!

> > Now if they
> > would do the same thing for cable companies, the prices might drop
> > there also.
>
> Amen.
glad we agree!

--