[ale] New Topic

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Jan 1 21:25:12 EST 2005

I think that many of the hundreds of millions of America Loving Liberals
across the country would agree with Mark on the advantages of the OS [e]X
generation of Macs .  ;-)

The revolution of OS [e]X has made Mac systems both unique and highly
competitive in their merging of several factors and features from the
computer market. Apple has leveraged their "user friendly" reputation,
consistent user interface design, media production prowess and solid
commercial recognition with the secure foundation of free *nix and user
empowering (geek approved) access to Open Source software communities.

While the PPC Mac hardware may not be quite as "bleeding edge" or inexpensive
as commodity x86 options, the tight integration of OS, core applications and
media software with complex hardware and firmware components provides
definite advantages in reliability and usability; with a Mac, when you plug
things in they just work.

Apple is also making moves that minimize the cost and compatibility impacts
arising from "custom hardware".  Where industry standards are consistent,
well established and provide real cost advantages, Apple has been adopting
commodity components and interfacing, from hard drives and memory to USB and
PCI.   Likewise for their bundling of core *nix apps with OS[e]X, where CUPS,
SAMBA and BASH are pre-installed stock components, and an integrated Xfree86
environment is included on the system installation disks as a user install
option.  The company has stayed very involved with industry standards
development as well, having played a major role in creating the likes of
IEEE-1394 [Firewire] and DVD file system specifications.

I've been happily running OS [e]X Mac's in my media production work
environments for a couple of years now. After disappointing results in
building myself a budget minded, commodity  x86 Linux system for media
production, I scraped together the resources  to purchase an (1.25 ghz G4)
eMac this past summer. The few complaints I have about today's Mac's mostly
stem from Apple's (aka Steve Jobs') stubborn insistence on confusing user
handicapping with "user friendly";  I''m sorry Steve, but shipping an OS[e]X
Mac with a one button mouse is an unwelcome anachronism at best.

peace
(because the only secure nation is a nation at peace)
aaron