[ale] New Topic

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 1 12:09:10 EST 2005

Third the motion.

I hope one day to be able to afford the Apple hardware.

I have HP's identical Intel analog to the 17" powerbook, and get a few "oohs
and ahhs" myself.  I run a few different flavors of Linux and a small
windows partition for SimCity.  (hey...at least I'm honest).

I bought this laptop for 2100.  The comparable MAC was 3100-3500 at the
time.  I just couldn't justify the extra $1000.  Is the Mac a better
machine?  Youbetcha.  Is the Mac a better OS?  Well....  Comparable to
Linux.  (sorry....  I have a G4 and still prefer Linux to OSX today)

My question is (and always has been) when will the hardware costs come down
to a point where buying the Mac laptops is as justifiable as buying the
Intel ones?  I just don't think the hardware +OSX warrants *SUCH* a huge
markup.  But, since Apple views themselves as "a hardware company", that's
where they believe their markup has to be to be successful.

I think Apple's key to success is releasing OSX on the Intel platform.  It
would be another heyday of development and a stronger viable alternative to
Windows in the market.

(and my HP laptop is still for sale @ $1650 if anyone is interested...the
model is zd7020US)

Jerald M. Sheets jr.