[ale] anybody know in which directory firefox should be installed ?

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Tue Dec 7 23:35:22 EST 2004

personally, I install to /usr/local/firefox

as for launching it, instead of a symlink, I prefer to use a python script I
wrote ( http://jayloden.com/firepy,htm ) saved as /usr/local/bin/firefox

The script launches /usr/local/firefox/firefox with the correct arguments so
that if you pass a url as an argument, it launches it in a new tab of an
existing Firefox window, or if no window exists, it opens a new instance.

If you launch with no arguments, it just opens a new firefox window to the
home page.

As for "getting it going" you pretty much just run the installer after
untarring it.  The only issue I've seen is some distros get fussy about
letting users launch firefox unless you log in as root first and run firefox
as root. (actually full graphical log in, not su).

-Jay