[ale] CUPS Newbie

Robert Heaven robertheaven at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 15 17:44:27 EDT 2003

I think I figured out why I was having a problem. As I was reading the
cups help documentation, and attempting to execute the commands it was
recommending (lpstat -p -d), I kept noticing I was getting responses
from the lpd system. (referring to /etc/printcap and /var/spool/lpd) At
first, being ignorant, I thought maybe cups was using lpd as a backend.
As I read further I found out the cups system replaces most of the lpd
programs (they're mutually exclusive) with it's own so by re-installing
cups I now have the correct programs for cups to work.

I'm beginning to think that the install/setup tool on the slackware CD
needs to pay attention to the order in which it installs certain
applications.