[ale] CUPS Newbie

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Oct 15 18:29:23 EDT 2003

Robert Heaven wrote:
> I think I figured out why I was having a problem. As I was reading the
> cups help documentation, and attempting to execute the commands it was
> recommending (lpstat -p -d), I kept noticing I was getting responses
> from the lpd system. (referring to /etc/printcap and /var/spool/lpd) At
> first, being ignorant, I thought maybe cups was using lpd as a backend.
> As I read further I found out the cups system replaces most of the lpd
> programs (they're mutually exclusive) with it's own so by re-installing
> cups I now have the correct programs for cups to work.
>
> I'm beginning to think that the install/setup tool on the slackware CD
> needs to pay attention to the order in which it installs certain
> applications.

It may be one of those last one in wins things.  If cups was installed,
then lprng, lprng overlays cups.  This should not happen, since they are
mutually exclusive, if one's installed, a second should complain or
remove the first before installing.

I had a similar problem on RH 7.3 where both lprng and cups were
installed at the same time.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net