[ale] SuSE 8.2, Building a kernel

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Tue Aug 26 20:45:13 EDT 2003

I'm not sure how different this is from doing make menuconfig with a
config file you've copied in but, I've used "make oldconfig" with much
success. It does a sort of diff between old and new, and only asks you
for options that didn't exist with the last kernel.

Also, I know very little about suse and, I'm not sure if this is the
version but, the bootsplash kernel patches that suse (8.2? 8.3?) uses
are "bleeding edge" and, need to be patched in if your not using a suse
kernel (this only applies with a framebuffer console).
http://bootsplash.org/ I only know this after making a custom kernel
under Mandrake, to get some of the extended functionality Suse is using.

I will have to say, adding the bootsplash patch was a bit ugly, but I
think some of it was me. It had been way too long since I'd patched or
built a kernel, YMMV.

Kernel compiles are like a zen garden. :)  Rake, rake again, repeat.

-G