[ale] SuSE 8.2, Building a kernel

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Aug 26 21:01:27 EDT 2003

The bootsplash give that pretty screen without the ugly list of stuff
being started up. It's eyecandy.

All you may need to do is makemenuconfig again and compile in reiserfs
instead of having it as a module. If it is a module, the kernel must
load it to access the hard drive. Since the modules are _on_ the hard
drive it is required to to use a fake hard drive, thus initrd (initial
root device). My take is that unless things are really weird, anything I
need to get the box to run and find the hard drive, I'm going to always
be using anyway.