[ale] resolver problems

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Sun Sep 15 19:44:30 EDT 2002

On Thursday, September 12, 2002 10:11 PM, Geoffrey wrote:
> Ryan wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 21:19, Geoffrey wrote:
>
> >>/etc/host.conf contains:
> >>
> >>order host,bind
> >

> > I believe this should be:
> >
> > order hosts,bind

Actually, it probably doesn't much matter what the 'order' command
says in host.conf, because the resolver code in glibc no longer
refers to it (although the command is still parsed).  This has been
the case since about 1996, when the use of /etc/nsswitch.conf was
incorporated into glibc.  These days, the equivalent way to control
name resolution is with a 'hosts:' line in nsswitch.conf.  If omitted,
the default is:

   hosts: dns [!UNAVAIL=return] files

The only commands in host.conf that still have any effect with glibc
are 'multi',  'trim', and 'reorder'.  Of course, having an 'order'
command doesn't hurt anything, and it might actually be needed if you
have some old binaries that were statically linked against an old
version of libc.

--Joe