[ale] OT Re: [ale] Microsoft now favors fair competition

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Mon Sep 9 00:03:49 EDT 2002

Honestly, that's a little blind. You're almost saying the company
shouldn't have ever existed, and anyone who works for them is spawned from
the deepest nether regions of hell.

Yes, I dislike Windows. Yes, I believe Microsoft's business practices in
the past have been questionable, with some being downright illegal. No, I
am not a Microsoft enthusiast or representative. I am, however, someone
who *can* see when good things are done, and not overlook them in blind
hatred.

I have never, *ever* seen a bad Microsoft mouse. All of my systems have
one, and I'm giddy with delight at having an Intellimouse with Intelleye,
which has worked splendidly for the past 3 years. While Microsoft may not
manufacture the hardware themselves (outsourcing and rebranding), any
hardware on which they have stamped their name (ESPECIALLY mice) has been
nearly top-notch.

And my Microsoft mouse can do everything in Linux that it can do in
Windows. I don't see how it's engineered to leverage Windows. Sure, things
like the force feedback stuff (another excellent hardware line) come with
Windows-only stuff, but what do you expect? They make DirectX, they're
sure not going to ignore it.

As for Microsoft-related charity work, while it's less Microsoft and more
Bill and Melinda, maybe you should check out the Bill and Melinda Gates
foundation. They're throwing millions of dollars at not only schools and
libraries, but health programs as well. Over half of their donations have
been to Global Health organizations. Again, it's not from Microsoft, but
all of this cash is able to be given to good causes as a direct result of
Microsoft being here.

There's more Good Things listed here:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-946250.html

Again, don't mistake the above for Microsoft fanatacism or open-source
defection. I'm a Linux user, and I really dislike the majority of
Microsoft's software. But I'm not a zealot on any side of the court.

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Sun, 08 Sep 2002 21:27:28 -0400