[ale] The 12 Q's of Chrismas (Cable-DSL Modem Shopping)

fgz fzamenski at voyager.net
Thu Dec 19 10:17:20 EST 2002

Good morning. Long post of lots of questions follows:

In prep for a cable internet hookup later this month, I
went on a 'fact-finding mission' at Best Buy and Circuit
City. Linksys and Seimens<sp?> to look at these things.
Linksys and Seimens<sp?> are the two predominant
brands at these stores, with the former seeming to have
the most favorable reviews I've read and heard. There
were several models of each but the salespeople didn't
have all the answers to my cable-n00b questions, so
knowing ALE has some of the greatest IT minds around :),
I'm asking for info.

1). Quick poll: Linksys, Seimens, or...?

2). VPNs come on some of these. Why should I care
about VPN on a home LAN? Is there is a chance remote
config of a SOHO LAN PC might get out on the internet?

3). Seimens mentioned 'VPN pass-through', for example,
to my corporate VPN. What is that and why do I care
since I run VPN client sw on my a local PC to get to
the corp LAN from home now?

4). Do these distribute bandwidth fractionally to each
device on the modem, or is it on-demand bandwidth? i.e.
will the PC casually browsing the web get less overall
bandwidth than the PC downing a 10MB file?

5). Can you truly hang a hub, or maybe more properly,
a switch (and maybe even a wireless 11MB hub), from
one of the modem ports, and expect to get an IP
properly assigned to each PC off the hub/switch? Does
the bandwidth get horribly cut at the hub/switch by
doing this?

6). Specific to Linksys: I saw four (4) 4-port models
at $59-$99, some with firmware VPN, firewall, AV, etc.
What do I really need for a SOHO LAN, since all PCs
have at least AV anyway? Allegedly the modem firewalls
allow port monitoring and blocking etc, but I'm skeptical.
Is it best practice to run a f/w PC in front of the cable
modem, then DHCP out to the cable modem itself?

7). If these things are firmware (nobody knew), can
they be flashed with an upgrade like a PC BIOS?

8). Which Linksys model(s) had the web-config utility
vulnerability? Can it/those be flashed?

9). What is UPnP? Sounds like a Windows thing.

10). Some have PPPoE. Why, since dialup goes away? Or
is this for direct serial connection over the internet?

11). Modem rent is $5.00/month, yet $99 purchases one.
Payout is obvious, yet will purchasing yield a better
quality product and if so, should I get it before the
installer comes to avoid any MAC changing hassles later
and billing snafu's when the cable co says I haven't
returned their modem? Which brand?

12). Is there any chance that a purchased modem will
be incompatible with their line sig? If so, what do I
look for?

The SOHO LAN will be a mixed environment of Linux,
Win9x, Win2K, Solaris SPARC and i386, three french
hens, two turtle doves, and a modem maybe under the
xmas tree....

All comments and suggestions appreciated, much
thanks, and Merry Christmas!

fgz