[ale] Remote X

Michael Kachline ext 2848 kachline at compgen.com
Thu Aug 29 09:46:37 EDT 2002

> The first step to me, is to get remote (Desktop) X clients to run on my
> Laptop X server.  I'm having problems.
>
> 1) login to Laptop
> 2) xhost +Desktop
> 3) ssh Desktop
> 4) export DISPLAY=Laptop:0.0
> 5) xterm &

	This sounds right and not right. When you ssh to a host, the ssh
client will typically set up a phony DISPLAY on the remote machine. If you
want to ssh to the remote box, then it should be as simple as:

Laptop$ ssh desktop
Desktop$ xterm &

... If, when you ssh to dekstop, ssh issues a message to the tune of
"disabling remote forwarding", then edit your .ssh/known_hosts file, and
remove the key for "Desktop". SSH in again (this will pick up a new host
key for desktop). Once your ssh client sees the proper host key for the
host which you are connecting to, it will then allow for the above process
to work (Given you haven't disabled X forwarding in your /etc/ssh_config
or /etc/sshd_config).

If you want to use the tried and true (and insecure) "xhost" method, then:

Laptop$ xhost +Desktop
Laptop$ telnet Desktop
Desktop$ export DISPLAY="Laptop:0.0"
Desktop$ xterm &

	I've been down the xauth road and do not remember fond memories of
it. It was a difficult process which was thankfully superceded by ssh. I
would consider it a very last resort if you cannnot get one of the above
two methods to work.

							- Mike
 Michael Kachline
 Systems Programmer