[ale] Update: Charter Cable Filtering

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Aug 29 10:08:31 EDT 2002

[...]

    Robert> So, can anyone show me a HOWTO on using DNS to run my http
    Robert> on a different port?

        DNS has nothing to do with ports; it maps names to IP
addresses.  HTTP's well known port is tcp port 80, and you can't
change that default.  You can run your server on whatever other port
you like that's not blocked (8000 and 8080 being common favourites),
but then all the URLs referencing your server will need to include
that port (http://foo.com:8080/).  There's no way you can make
JRandomLuser's copy of IE or Mozilla magically add it to an
unqualified URL.

        What you could do if you have another server somewhere where
tcp port 80 isn't filtered is have them set up a virtual host foo.com
that redirects all traffic to that URL to http://real.foo.com:8000/
(real.foo.com resolving to your home server's IP).

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
770 294-0820 (m)      |                                               U