replacing NFS [Was Re: [ale] Cracked many Linux systems]

michael d. ivey ivey at gweezlebur.com
Wed Mar 28 14:04:02 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 01:57:00PM -0500, Fletch wrote:
>         If you're an emacs user, you can use the tramp package.  It'll
> let you transparently access remote files over ssh or scp.  Granted
> that's not the same as NFS, but . . . .  And then there's always rsync
> for keeping things updated, or cvs for maintaining a central copy.
> You might even could whip something up fairly quickly using scp/ssh
> and the PerlFS module that lets you write linux filesystems in
> perl. :)

Since I loath emacs, that doesn't help.  =)

Plus I need something that works with multiple tools, not just an
editor.

I've considered a cron'd rsync, but that requires keeping a full
copy on the client.

PerlFS I hadn't looked into yet...I'll let you know if that is a
good route.

>         On a somewhat related note, has anyone looked into CODA (an
> AFS-like distributed filesystem from the good folks at CMU) as far as
> security and crossing open networks?  I'd played with it a little bit
> a while back and it was pretty neat, but I never got around to getting
> things completely setup to use it rather than NFS.

I never was happy enough with it between two machines to consider
using it over an open net.  Security wise I'd guess (only a guess)
that it was weak...it's such a strangley managed project, it seems
hard to imagine it being very hardened.

--
michael d. ivey        [McQ] : "Integrity is the key.
   <ivey at gweezlebur.com>     : Once you can fake that..."