[ale] Ricochet?

aaron aaron at pd.org
Wed Mar 28 14:44:13 EST 2001

Previously, Robert L. Harris typed into the ether:
> I'm looking at ricochet.com so I wont be home bound when on call, etc.
> Also if I have to travel for business.

Haven't used Ricochet myself, since I don't have a need for the
mobility, but I did see an in depth presentation demo of it at an
Amiga user group meeting last fall. Their methods in using a "web
relay" layout for the receiver/transmitter configuration (mounted on
and powered by standard street lights) struck me as a smart, reliable
and secure solution. Their connection during the demo ran without a flaw
inside a steel frame building surrounded by about 20 other running
computers (RF city, I'm sure).

Only questionable area I noted was the speed. At the time (last Aug.)
they were running at 128 kb/sec, twice the rate of a hard wired modem.
They suggested that the present systems could run as fast as 512 baud
but, if I understood this, they also implied that they were limiting the
presently offered bandwidth intentionally. (???)

>  Has anyone used this, especially with a Linux laptop?

The user side of the system we were shown works like a stand alone,
independently powered modem that connected via standard RS232 serial.
(I think the USB option is available now, too.) Basically, it could
connect to any platform which can handle standard modem support. The
Ricochet modem could run on its rechargeable batteries (if memory
serves, ~4 hrs/chrg) or of course, with an AC power adapter.

If you need the mobility (within their covered metro areas, which are
quite large now) Ricochet seems like a sensible and reasonably priced
option. However, when weighing the speed, service provider and
hardware cost considerations in a non-mobile situation, I don't think
the cost is especially competitive. Guess it all depends on how
important it is to you to be able to instantly access the web from
your favorite bar!  :-)

peace
(after justice)
aaron