[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Leonard Thornton leonard at intelis-inc.net
Mon Jul 23 19:19:20 EDT 2001

Jay Finch wrote:

> I'm looking at ADSL right now.  (1.5 down and 128-384 up)  I would never go
> from a Cable modem (1.5 down and 128 up) to IDSL... *shudder*

I probably was not clear in my last post, so let me try to make up for
that:

I'LL TRADE MY FIRST BORN FOR ADSL OR SDSL!!!!!!

(he's 21 and pisses me off regularly.....)

Unfortunately, I'm 20,000 ft from the closest pop.  It took mt almost 4
years to get a cable modem installed even though the neighborhood next
door (less than 500 ft from my house) has had cable modems the whole
time.  I even offered to buy the spool of wire for them, but no luck.

I have spent up to 4 hours on hold, been lied to, have had the entire
house rewired, had the modem replaced and finally was told that "Oh,
yeah....we have a noise problem on the lines...".  Duh....

For me, it's a choice of so-so broadband or 33.6 dial-up (best I could
get this far out...).  Life sucks.

> Well, here's the rub.  I'm paying ~$60/month for my cable modem service,
> and I'm looking to get something more reliable.  Example: Whenever it
> rains, the Cable Modem goes down.  (Or else it goes up, down, up, down,
> up ... oh is it gonna stay... DAMN it's down again.)  I will sometimes
> get "unscheduled outages" in the middle of the day .. or from 10:30pm until
> 1:30am.  I will sometimes get bad routing from the DNS server -- Using any
> of Charter's DNS servers.  Or their gateway will be down for some
> inexplicable reason, or else their chosen backbone will be suffering the
> shuddering "no can route" syndrome.  Bleah.  My annoyance factor is getting
> high...

Sounds like a compelling reason to move.  Just be aware that even DSL
providers have less than stellar service.  No one's perfect and for the
most part, the broadband providers just don't give a damn.  They don't
have to...They have a monopoly (remind us of anyone else???) and can
pretty much say take it or leave it.

But I'm not bitter.....well, maybe a little.....

> The speed is good when I have it, but the service is beginning to suffer in
> reliability.  I've had this service for almost 3 years now, and lately it's
> just sucked.  I want other's opinions of DSL before making that leap so I
> don't go from the frying pan and into the fire.
>

> Thank you. :~)  I'll my 1 cent and we'll have 3!  Whoo hoo!

and now we are up to a nickel...WOO HOO!!!!

The difficult while you wait...the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc
leonard at intelis-inc.net