[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Jay Finch retief at larp.com
Mon Jul 23 19:13:43 EDT 2001

Joseph A. Knapka wrote:
> Another pretty good reason to move to (fast) DSL is that cable often
> has an AUP that prohibits running any kind of services on the
> connection, and DSL is usually "anything goes". Personally I find this
> very frustrating, I'd really like to host my own web site, but I have
> no DSL options where I live :-(

Interesting -- With a static IP I've run my own webserver and am currently
running a streaming Shoutcast server from home.  Not a problem on Charter's
Pipeline...

> My sample of cable providers for this opinion is 2: Charter Pipeline in
> Troup County, and TW-RoadRunner in El Paso. Both AUP's were
> essentially identical.

Hrm.. Like I said - the service with Charter has been OK (except for the
previously mentioned instances), but I want something more.  Call me
picky. ;~)

Cheers!
Jay