[ale] <OT> ICQ and AOL IM

Gregory McLean gregm at comstar.net
Tue Jun 22 13:56:55 EDT 1999

-> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:28:33 -0400 Dave Brooks <dbrooks at comstar.net>
-> writes:
->
-> I called my dad to have him open the ports, but he looked up on AOL's
-> site, and it says that the needed port is 5190 and it doesn't mention an
-> authentication port at all. Are you sure the ports you listed aren't for
-> something else?
->

Dunno... Here is the socket states right after a login:
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 xxx.xxxxxx.xxx:1080   toc-r01.blue.aol.c:9898 ESTABLISHED
tcp        0    144 xxx.xxxxxx.xxx:1079   toc-r01.blue.aol.c:9898 CLOSE
tcp        0    144 xxx.xxxxxx.xxx:4778   toc-r01.blue.aol.c:9898 CLOSE

Go figure.

-> >You'll also need 1234 open for the AOL Authentication.
-> >
-> >Gregory McLean wrote:
-> >> Looks like ICQ uses 4000
-> >> and AOL IM uses 9898
-> >>
-> >> ICQ has that 'official' java thing, a quick search on one of the
-> >linux apps sites should show a few unofficial ones. Same with the AOL
-> >stuff.
->
-> Get the Internet just the way you want it.
-> Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
-> Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
->