[ale] PCI Modems

Bryn Joynes bjoynes at edge.net
Tue Dec 28 17:03:04 EST 1999

Hi Bill,

Here is my question about PCI modems followed by Mike's answer, hope it
helps.

Bryn....

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone run a 3Com U.S.Robotics 56K FaxModem PCI, model No.5610 with
> Redhat 6.1 or any other distribution?  I saw mention of this modem
<snip>
        Bryn,

        I run a USR 56K PCI model 0726 just fine on a Mandrake 6.0 box.
Though, it does take a bit of setup to get the modem going. Primarily,
 I had to figure out which IRQ and IO port the modem used, then "clue
in"
linux as to the details....

#cat /proc/pci
    Serial controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=12b9. Device id=1008.
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 11.
      I/O at 0xfff0 [0xfff1].

Look for a "serial controller" and find the "IRQ" and "IO" ports. Then,
as
root do a:

#setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 11 port 0xfff0 uart 16550A

This will set up "com 2" to using your PCI modem. Of course, you need to
make sure that com2 isn't already being used before doing this.
Primarily,
you may have a 25 pin COM output on your box which is typically tied to
COM 2. If nothing else, you can try tinkering with different com ports
by
using /dev/ttyS0, S1, S2 or S3. Once that is done, then

#ln -sf /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem

And then I like to test my setup with "minicom". If I can type "at" and
get an "OK" back, then I'm in business. Final step, add the "setserial"
line onto the very end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. That way, each
time you boot up, your modem will be set up.

                                                - Mike