[ale] Monitor Switch

Mandrake mandrake at mandrake.net
Tue Dec 28 17:07:15 EST 1999

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 04:35:56PM -0500, Jay Finch wrote:
> At 03:51 PM 12/28/1999 -0500, Chris Fowler wrote:
> >Does anyone know where I can get a mechanical system switch.  This will
> >allow me to share 2 ore more PC's with 1 monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  I
> >want mechanical because it is cheapest.  Hopefully a place local or on the
> >internet that can send one in a reasonable amount of time.
>
>          I've found that Microcenter in Marietta has them fairly
> inexpensively... (I'm doing the same with two of my home machines...)  The
> picture quality isn't stellar on the monitor, but it works great.  (I think
> I paid $10-15 for the box, and another $15-25 for the cables...)

Let me be the first person to warn you that by using one of these cheap
mechanical switches you're inviting yourself for some serious hardware
problems.  I've had a keyboard connector on a motherboard fry thanks to one of
these things.

--
(\)       Mandrake (Geoff Harrison)        (/)   http://mandrake.net    (\)
(|) Senior Software Engineer VA Linux Labs (|)    http://valinux.com    (|)