[ale] rsh and rlogin

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Fri Nov 27 09:54:23 EST 1998

I think all Linux distributions are set up the same with root limited to a
direct login at the console. Otherwise, you need to "su" or "sudo" from a
regular user. To relax this security feature, you can edit /etc/securetty,
but I couldn't recommend it.

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Matt Shade wrote:

> I forgot to add...I CAN rlogin and rsh as any user other than root. But
> there is a process I wanted to run as root, but it fails with an rsh and
> rlogin asks for a password.
>
> Matt Shade wrote:
> >
> > I can't seem to rlogin or rsh to one of my machines. I still have to use
> > a password.
> > I have set up both /etc/hosts.equiv and $HOME/.rhosts but that hasn't
> > helped. Any other reason why these are still asking for passwords?
> > machines are on 2.0.33 and 2.0.34
> >
> > Matt

Thompson Freeman           Even the Immortal Brahma
                           Shaves before he hugs his mama
tfreeman at vnet.net          Karma Shave