[ale] Remote Printing.

Chris Hamilton chrish at ifsintl.com
Sat Nov 15 18:20:09 EST 1997

> I've set up my printer on my firewall machine.  I then set up my local
> box with a "Remote" printer (both done in the Control Panel).  When I try
> to print to the printer I get:
>
> moat.orci.com: lpd: lp: Your host does not have line printer access
>
> Moat is the printer host.  Anyone know what I missed?

I've only been using RedHat for 4 days now, but I'll take a stab at it:

1. Make sure that the printcap entry on the firewall points to the
   printer host/print name
2. Make sure that the printcap on the local box points to the firewall
   as the remote host and the printer as the remote printer
3. Make sure that your local box has a hostname entry in /etc/hosts.lpd

Usually item 3 is the most common "leave out" when setting up remote
printing. As a side note, /etc/hosts.lpd grants remote hosts access to
use "local" print spools. In most operating systems, you can specify
a single character in the first line of hosts.lpd to allow ANY remote
host access to your printer. This is commonly used in networks that
are protected behind a firewall. Otherwise, you would be granting some
schmo access from Timbucktu to print his/her soft-porm novella on YOUR
printer. <g>

Excuse the tangent.

Chris.

---
Christopher Hamilton    Internal System Administrator
chrish at ifsintl.com      IFS International, Inc.