[ale] OT - SED drive compatibility

Adrya Stembridge adrya.stembridge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:51:28 EDT 2014

I was provided a Dell R720 with four standard 300GB 3.5" SAS 15k drives.
Our RAID controller is a Perc H710. I need to update our disks to FIPS
140-2 certified SED, but this is my first time working with SED and I could
use a little help/advice.

According to Dell, they have only one tested/validated FIPS SED for this
machine/controller, but it is a 7200rpm 3.5" unit. I'm showing that Dell
offers a 600GB 15k FIPS SED in 3.5" configuration (Dell part number
342-0605), but they say they haven't validated or tested to know if it
works.  The 600GB drive is also spendy.   Dell informed me that I would not
void my warranty in using this non-validated drive.

How likely is it that our R720 with H710 controller would work with a
non-validated drive? Are there significant differences in how drive
manufacturers build SED that would prevent them from working consistently
across different controllers?   I'm asking because I show many options for
300gb 3.5" 15k FIPS 140-2 certified SED online.