[ale] OT: How can you get all SMS into one user? / SMS Cell modem AT&T

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Aug 21 10:18:10 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-21 07:10, David Millians wrote:

> On 8/20/2014 1:13 PM, ciani at panix.com wrote:
>> Looks like this might work: http://www.smseagle.eu
>
> Yes, and they even have a zabbix plugin. Cool! But all these things are
> from Europe, where they don't have to deal with AT&T. There's precious
> little info online where people have used them with zabbix.
>
>> Otherwise you could always integrate with something like twilio or
>> pagerduty?
>
> Don't know, investigating. :)
>
> I should also add that using the @mms.att.net gateway is purported to
> work. Googling with the term 'wildcard' added got me that info. I
> haven't had any alerts go off to test it yet. I'm patient. :)

mms.att.net is for any message containing some type of media beyond text
(JPG image, video, etc.)  The other AT&T gateway is txt.att.net which
handles straight text and uses the base SMS system meaning a 3G/4G GSM
data link is not required, only base cellular signal.  The MMS gateway
requires the receiving phone to have its GSM data link up to receive the
media portion of the message (signalling occurs by the SMS cellular
baseband and then a handoff to the GSM link occurs to transfer the
message data.)

I use the txt.att.net gateway all the time to forward critical event
messages (e.g. apcupsd power loss messages) and specific types of email
alerts filtered and rerouted by procmail.