[ale] OT: Android native code

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 12:18:07 EDT 2013

My latest device that I bought from BigLots is cheap tablet 4" with
moderate specification written on the box but in reality the situation
is different. As I mentioned in previous post some of the RAM is
locked so there is only 340 MB available. CPU claims 1 Ghz but
actually Android uses between 500 and 800 Mhz. Third thing is the SoC
itself. Is not one of the ARM cores it is MIPS 74Kc something with no
FPU so there is software FPU running by Linux kernel. I don't mind all
issues but the latest is little frustrating. I have tried to download
pocket version of Minecraft game ( Yes I have two kids ) and Android
warned me " Portion of the game contain native code so it may not run
at all on this system" . So it does not run :)

This is not really a question but just thought. Isn't that some kind
of security issue for Android, running native code, isn't that code
running outside Dalvik VM. And using native code rejects all other
platforms but ARM ...