[ale] Ubuntu 12.10 desktop will not fit on a CD

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Sun Jan 6 22:46:14 EST 2013

This size change was announced with Quantal Beta 1:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2012-September/000161.html

For what it's worth, there is NO WAY K9copy or any other app can make this
ISO fit on a CD-R.  There are 700 megabytes available on CD-Rs, the ISOs
are 753MB.  While there are certainly options for dealing with video
(recompressing) that option doesn't exist with software.  (You could, of
course, remaster with fewer packages, etc., but then it's not the same ISO.)

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Check out K9copy. I know that I was able to copy a DL DVD to a 4.7GB
> DVD, It may have an option to do the same for CDs.
>

> On 01/06/2013 03:43 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> > I just tried to burn an Ubuntu 12.10 desktop iso onto a CD and
> > discovered it won't fit.
> >
> > If you want to burn it, you'll have to: 1) use a dvd 2) use a
> > memory stick 3) use a mini iso which loads most stuff from the net
> >
> > Just thought I'd pass it along.  I guess I'll try some of those new
> > JVC DVDs I bought for video capture and haven't had a chance to
> > use.
> >

> http://askubuntu.com/questions/203601/how-do-i-burn-the-12-10-790mb-iso-to-a-cd
> >
> >  Sincerely,
> >
> > Ron
> >

> > --
> >
> > Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and
> > K-9 Mail. Please excuse my potential brevity.
> >
> > (To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying
> > to former messages prior to 03/31/12 with my personal address will
> > go to the wrong address.  Please send all personal correspondence
> > to the new address.)
> >
> > (PS - If you email me and don't get a quick response, you might
> > want to call on the phone.  I get about 300 emails per day from
> > alternate energy mailing lists and such.  I don't always see new
> > email messages very quickly.)
> >
> > Ron Frazier 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message. linuxdude AT
> > techstarship.com

David Tomaschik